Friday, January 2, 2009

Blast from the Past...


During Christmas at my Grandpa's I received a camel-back trunk and all of the contents therein. I have been spending parts of my day/evening cleaning it. Trying to revive it to its former splendor. I can't say I have been entire successful but it has been fun and I found plenty of goodies inside. It contained several women's hats and what looks to be two hats of a young boy. About 4 full outfits, One outfit definitely belonged to my Great Grandmother- her name pined inside, the others look to be dated much older and there was a note at the bottom of the trunk saying the boots inside belonged to my Great Grandfather Toppin's Grandmother! She died in 1870, so I am banking on the rest of the clothes being at least that old. They all have the name Johnson sewed into them, but I will have to do more research to figure out the time period that they came from. The trunk also contained 2 babies gown's and some upholstery fabric that I recognize from furniture that my dad and grandpa used to have around the house. The paper lining the trunk was dated from 1915, so all in all a pretty historical haul! Here is a photo...

No comments: