Friday, August 28, 2009

Reality Roundup...

Is anyone watching TV like me these days? (Wow, what a horrible question, none of you could possibly be watching TV like me!) Like I mentioned last week, two of my favorite reality competition shows are back in the saddle! Lets start with Top Chef- I watched this week's episode about 1 and a half times- and it was plainly obvious the editors of this week's episode were trying to get two things across: (1) Bryan & Michael are brothers, brothers who are desperately trying to one up each other; by the way Michael (he has the tattoos) wins the quickfire and $15,000, Bryan wins the elimination challenge. And (2) Ashley (who is openly gay) is super upset she has to cook food for a bachelorette/bachelor party. I try not to get political on this blog- lets be honest it is mostly all about frivolous pop culture (and I like it that way)- but Ashley's repeated complaints were just so annoying and I am not the only one who noticed : Check out Ken Tucker's take. First of all I thought this was a cooking competition, so all of the focus off the food annoyed me, secondly do you really have to be able to get to do what every challenge represents or even be behind every challenge to cook food for it? I think not. But to each his own. Clearly what I loved most was Jen's comments about being upset that it was boys vs girls, this smart cookie proved she knew those girls aren't going to do anything but hold her back and she wants to play with the big boys, literally. The Boys kicked butt and won, the girls were bland, and Eve- who was amazed she was the only one from Michigan- goes home. My favorite competitor is Jen- lets get some more of her fiestiness. Bryan and Michael could be my next favorites if they ever stop talking about how they are brothers.
Project Runway- this week on the runway contestants were designing maternity wear for Rebbecca Romijn (I cannot resist saying in my head Stamos). Again another reminder of how long ago this season was filmed- Rebbecca had those twins in December, and she frankly didn't look all to huge last night (don't judge my huge comment, she was carrying twins). I was surprised that not everyone complained and bitched as much as they usually do whenever they have to make clothing for non-models (to be fair RR is a model, and also apparently a real celebrity- I will give her that). Usually the "Real Women" challenge is awesome; filled with complaining- like no one could ever imagine making clothing for any non size 0 woman ever. And if we are really lucky someone will make someone else mother cry. No such luck last night. We only got models with bellies. I liked all of the top three. And agreed with the bottom three. I was just a tad surprised that they kicked off two quirky kooky people two weeks in a row. Usually the kept one crazy around just to dramatic value. So far I would have to level and say Top Chef is kicking Project Runways butt. What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Isoleucine said...

Melvin was boring and Ari was just trying too hard. Melvin was creative and intelligent just not crazy like Santino. That guy could be creative, pull off something awesome, and offend everyone all at once and the only criticism the judges could level was that he needed it to tone it down or else only drag queens could pull off something that fantastic.

Kristel said...

So I got John to post a comment for you as I've been making him watch PR with me. There are many designers I am loving this season I can't put my finger on my fav yet. Did you watch "models of the runway"? if so what did you think?